Remember when reality tv was the Real World and Social Media was passing out valentine’s in your 3rd grade classroom? Well things have changed, ok they have blown up! Reality TV has everything and there is a social media site for everyone. So how do they match up to each other?
Top 10 Extreme Reality TV Shows ans their Social Media Counterpart:
- Finding Bigfoot (Animal Planet) = LinkedIn, we want it to be amazing, we want it to create leads and ROI and help us find jobs, just like we want Bobo to find a Bigfoot in the backwoods but all we get are some wood knocks and let down
- Jersey Shore (MTV) = Facebook, we all know it was WAY better before everyone else found out about it but because it is such a beautiful mess we still spend an inordinate amount of time on the site, posting, liking, sharing and of course fist-pumping
- Hillbilly Handfishin’ (Animal Planet) =Foursquare, when you check in you feel good as well as involved but you have no idea why you did, just like the blank smile you have on your face when you watch the tv show, but seriously you are watching a show about people catching fish by putting their hands in that fish’s mouth
- Hoarders (A&E) = MySpace, we are appalled by it and by people who still use it – just let it go, do you really need 93 cats? Do you really need your MySpace page? BUT it is still getting numbers so what am I missing?
- Real Housewives (Bravo) =flickr, who cares – fun to look at sometimes but absolutely no purpose, it is time you will never get back
- Top Chef (Bravo) = Google+ has a ton of hype and marketing around it but when people want to watch cooking shows they go to the Food Network and watch one of the many proven shows there, kind of the way people usually go to Facebook
- Swamp People (History Channel) = Klout, what can I say Klout is a site that judges analytics and influencers, we all know the only reason to watch Swamp people is to judge yourself against the “swamp” people and make yourself feel better
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians (E!) = Twitter, where did it come from, how did it get so big and what do we really learn in 140 characters
- Say Yes To The Dress (TLC) = Instagram, just like the TV show does with brides to be, Instagram can take average or even ugly pics and with a tuck here and a click there those pictures look amazing and you want to show all your friends
- The Rachel Zoe Project (Bravo) = Pinterest, only women get it and they get it in a huge way – Pinterest is the break away hit of 2012 that people, or should I say women are still only finding out about